Wednesday, August 31, 2016

August Wrap-up!


August felt like it was a slow month, but once I started tallying my books, I realized that I read a lot more than I thought! This month was kind of crazy. I went to a wedding and worked a LOT. Thankfully, I did manage to read 10 books & 2 graphic novels! 


1, 2, & 3- The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner ★★★★★
I still have yet to finish book four, but when my friend and former roommate begged me to read her favorite series of all time, I knew I had to comply. I absolutely loved this series! Gen is a whiny, petulant child but somehow I love him? Character development is phenomenal, and the political intrigue is so wonderfully done. I just finished reading it and I already want to read it again. If you've never read this series, please think about picking them up!

4. Alanna by Tamora Pierce ★★★★★
Somehow, I managed to go my entire life without reading a single Tamora Pierce book. If you've never read her, please rectify that immediately.


5. The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin ★★★★★
N. K. Jemisin has quickly become one of my absolute favorite authors. I read the Inheritance trilogy a few months ago and I adored it, and The Fifth Season did not disappoint. Filled with rich, diverse characters and phenomenal world-building, this book was one of my favorite books this year!


6. Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida C√≥rdova ★★★★★
Guys. Put this book on your tbr. This book has a bisexual protagonist, an incredible magical world, and some of the most fun characters I've read in a long time. Pick up your copy on September 6th!


7. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden ★★★★☆
Actual rating 3.5 stars. This book is a lush and imaginative tale based on Russian folklore. I wrote a review here.


8. Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake ★★★★☆
I absolutely loved this one and I am ridiculously excited to get my hands on a copy. There were some world-building issues that I had with it, but this book had one of the most insane plot twists I've read in ages!


9. The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich ★★★★☆
Creepy, dark, and creatively done! I picked up to this one because it had a similar format to one of my favorite books, Illuminae! It was really well done, and if you want a scary book, read it!


10. Welcome Back by Christopher Sebela ★★★
This comic was incredibly well made, with creative worldbuilding, wlw, and some badass ladies!


11. Jem and the Holograms by Kelly Thompson 
I read this in one sitting! This reboot is was incredibly well done and true to the original. The characters were great and the art was fantastic!


12. Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas 
This book would have been incredibly phenomenal, if only I hadn't guessed the ending halfway through the book. Still, I enjoyed reading it overall.

Have you read any of these books? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment