Sunday, July 31, 2016

Monthly Wrap-Up: July!


Hey babes! I hope you're all having a wonderful week!  July was a crazy month for me. I went on an 8 day vacation, worked a crazy amount, had a minor cold, and read 13 books.

On my vacation, I flew to Portland to visit my best friend and managed to find my way to Powell's Books. I've been wanting to go for ages and it did not disappoint! My only wish is that the store was less busy so I could have had more time to speak with some of the employees. As a bookseller I really enjoy chatting with other booksellers. I also climbed a mountain, watched fireworks, ate some donuts, and spent some much needed time with my best friend. After Portland, I took a train ride to San Francisco to visit Z and went to the famous Green Apple books. It had every single part of a bookstore that I enjoy. In California, I went to the beach, caught some Pokémon, visited the redwoods, and bought cherries from the side of the road. Enough of my vacation, it's time for books!




BOOKS READ IN JULY


  •  GEMINA by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff ★★★★★
    • This sequel to ILLUMINAE was phenomenal! It was thrilling and creatively done. I can't wait to see the final product once the book is published.  There were a lot of images missing and I'd love to see them!
  • ROMEO AND/OR JULIET by Ryan North ★★★★★
    • A Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book like no other, ROMEO AND/OR JULIET is hilarious, witty, and actually quite true to the original text! With art from tons of my favorite comic book artists, this book is a must-buy
  • NEVERNIGHT by Jay Kristoff ★★★★★
    • This was unlike anything I've ever read. The world-building was so consistently creative and incredibly well done.  Mia is one of my new favorite characters of all time!  
  • HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt  ★★★★☆
    • TERRIFYING novel about a witch and a town of cursed people.  It's one of the scariest books I've ever read! 
  • HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD 
  • I AM PRINCESS X by Cherie Priest ★★★★☆
    • ROMANCE FREE mystery with a focus on friendships!!!! This book was so cute and I enjoyed it so much! 
  • HUNTRESS by Malinda Lo ★★★★☆
    • This book reminded me a bit of Uprooted if Kasia and Agnieszka were endgame.  The writing was clunky at times but I loved this story!
  • HOW TO SET A FIRE AND WHY by Jesse Ball ★★★☆☆
    • Fans of Perks of Being a Wallflower and Catcher in the Rye will love this one!  A angry young woman loses the one person who cared about her and she commits arson. 
  • A WORLD WITHOUT YOU by Beth Revis ★☆☆☆☆
    • DNF'd this one.  I might have liked it more if we don't know from the premise that Bo is delusional. It would have made an incredible reveal if we believed him the whole time and found out later.  
  • MAGONIA by Maria Dahvana Headley ★★★☆☆
    • This book was JUST OKAY. It really could have been fantastic but it just fell short.
  • MR. FOX by Helen Oyeyemi ★★★☆☆
    • As much as I love Helen Oyeyemi's writing, I struggled through this non-linear style book.  It wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be.
  • STRONG FEMALE PROTAGONIST by Brennan Lee Mulligan ★★★☆☆ (3.5)
    • I enjoyed this graphic novel a bit, but the comments were distracting to the story. It was still really fun to read!
  • GIRL FRIENDS by Milk Morinaga ★★★★☆
    • This cute manga is about a girl who realizes she has a crush on her friend! It was so fun!

So, that was my month! Have you read any of these books? What did you think? Let me know in the comments! 


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Ryan North's chooseable path editions of Shakespeare. Have you read 'To Be or Not to Be'?

    ReplyDelete