Sunday, July 31, 2016

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (mild spoilers)



Harry Potter and the Cursed Child


Harry Potter was an absolutely formative series for me growing up.  It's a series that will always have a special place in my heart, so I was incredibly reluctant to read this book. Until the boxes came into my bookstore, I wasn't actually planning on it.  Once we opened the boxes and I saw the cover, I knew I couldn't resist.  I strongly believe that once a book is published, the story belongs to the reader. As much as I admire and look up to J. K. Rowling for writing Harry Potter, I'm not happy with how much she meddles with the series.  

I think it’s incredibly important to say here that this is a script of a play, and is meant to be seen, not read. Fitting an entire story into a 4-5 hour play is not an easy feat, and because of that there is no room for exposition. Every scene in the play has to specifically move the story forward, and because of that there are a lot of characters that don't show up and explanations missing from the story. Also, the magic that happens in the book has to be physically possible in the real world. Characterizations have to be over the top in order to be shown onstage. 

That being said, the plot of this play was absolute garbage.  It reads like Harry Potter fan fiction that used My Immortal as the source material.  You can read the basic plot here but there are spoilers in that link!  I’m not really going to break down the problems that I had with the plot. It’s not productive, and I’m sure you’ll see plenty of reviews that do this.  Just let it be known that if I was rating JUST the plot itself, this book would have a 1-star rating.  

Despite the plot being absolutely ridiculous, over the top, and impossibly bad, I did enjoy reading this book. There are some incredibly heartwarming moments between the adult trio, and even some great lines between Harry and Draco (yes Drarry shippers, there are scenes in this for you!) but the stars of the show (literally) are Albus Severus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy.  Their friendship was so pure and sweet, and it was incredibly fun to read.

Albus finds friendship with Scorpius from the very beginning of the play, citing that Harry’s friendship with Ron started because of the train car he sat in.  Albus, even at age 11, is a lonesome, surly young boy.  He can only see himself as a shadow of his father’s accomplishments, and because of that he resents his father greatly. Albus is nothing like is father was in school—he’s not popular, not good at Quidditch, not even good at magic.   He was sorted into Slytherin, which further isolates him from anyone who might have wanted to be his friend. 

Scorpius is also isolated from the rest of Hogwarts because everyone believes the rumor that Draco used a time turner to get Voldemort to impregnate his wife (like honestly, how could anyone think that???????? I know I said I wasn’t going to talk about plot but this is in parenthesis so it doesn’t count. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS NONSENSE?)

Scorpius is my absolute favorite character from this story, hands down. When he meets Albus on the train, he literally starts singing a little jingle to himself that his mom used to sing before he realizes that he’s trying to seem Cool. He is a precious child and I will protect him at ALL costs.  His feelings for Albus are discussed fairly extensively, and there are hints that his feelings aren’t entirely feelings of just friendship. 

In order to save my sanity, I’m going to stop this review where it is. I  If you’ve read the book and you would like to discuss the horrible, horrible plot with me, you can send me a message on tumblr! 


Thanks for reading! 

1 comment:

  1. I got my copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child book today.
    I brought it from Amazon and I got it in just 2 days!
    Check it out:
    Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

    ReplyDelete