Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Book Review: The Devourers by Indra Das


The Devourers is one of those books that I genuinely don't know how to rate. While reading this book I felt sick, repulsed, and angry. While reading this book I felt a tightness in my chest and a hollowness in the pit of my stomach. 

It was beautiful. The vivid, visceral, descriptive writing was absolutely stunning. I have to be honest, though. I almost gave up on the book during Fenrir's tale. It's the hardest part of the book to read, where the descriptions are the most sickening. It's also at the very beginning of the book. After I forced myself through end of the story and heard Alok's denouncement of Fenrir, I was able to continue. Throughout this book, Alok was the voice of reason. His thoughts on the stories he transcribed mirrored my own.

Alok and the stranger's odd relationship was my favorite part of the story. Their confusion, repulsion, annoyance, attraction was as mundane as any (sort of), and it provided a wonderful reprieve from the harshness of the tales that were being told.

Overall, would I recommend this book? Yes, but not to everyone. A novel blending folklore, history, gender identity, storytelling, and the meaning of humanity might not be for everyone, but it was definitely for me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how to take that exactly, but now I'm cautiously intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with MrNelson007: I am pretty much exactly that! Will have to look this up!

    ReplyDelete