Thursday, February 25, 2016

Book Review: Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard





Glass Sword  by Victoria Aveyard

★☆☆☆☆ 1/5 Stars
I wasn’t blown away by Red Queen, but I received a galley for Glass Sword and I decided to give the sequel a shot. Red Queen had some glaring plot holes, but my biggest problem with the book was that despite the promising bare bones the story, I felt that the writing was amateurish.  That being said, I was optimistic that the second book would be better, mostly because of the “practice makes perfect” thing. 
Glass Sword picks up immediately after the end of Red Queen, and it begins really well! There are lots of new characters and new places, as well as some character development of the original cast. Aveyard carefully weaves the threads of the story in the first half of the book, making for an exciting, albeit slow beginning.

Somewhere around halfway through the book, something went wrong. She lost the story, I think. The writing became lazy, and the book is riddled with plot holes. The characters are all vastly under-developed. The author spends few paragraphs on the action of the book, and instead tells us that something has been achieved with vague details (and nobody actually witnessing it in the book) and then spends MULTIPLE pages on a stupid, pointless love triangle, with characters that don’t even seem to like each other. Every time they argued, I rolled my eyes. Seriously, I sighed in annoyance and rolled my eyes so many times throughout this book. Important plot points are glossed over or mentioned in passing, and no time is spent describing what is actually happening in the story.
New characters are only given the barest of development.  One character in particular is only described by the power she has, and then her only interaction with Mare is to propel her relationship with Kilorn.  Instead of being a well fleshed out character with a fascinating power, her power was used as a catchall for every success in the story.  It was so lazy. The only characters I like from this book are Farley, Shade, and a new character named Cameron.  Mare is absolutely insufferable. I would have loved to have a POV switch, just as a reprieve from Mare’s head. 
The Queen’s role in the book is greatly reduced, and Maven goes being a manipulative power-hungry jerk to literally murdering babies.  It was a radical change and it didn’t seem natural.
The book was riddled with cliche lines. If the writing was consistently good, I can forgive a cliche, but this was way too much.  I saw every plot twist coming. There are little hints throughout that are glaringly obvious.
I got about 300 pages in before the book started to feel like a chore. It picked up a bit before the end, and the ending left us with an exciting cliffhanger, and a basic sketch of what to expect in the next book. 
The thing that frustrates me the most is that I really wanted to like this book. The bare bones of the story is creative and intriguing, and the characters could be so great.  I read Cruel Crown last month and I thought it was absolutely wonderful! I love the world Aveyard has created and I will read everything she writes in the hopes that her writing will catch up with her brilliant ideas.



1 comment:

  1. That's a disappointment, and I know what you mean - it always stings way worse when something you really want to like is disappointing than it does when something you didn't care about is terrible.

    ReplyDelete