Thursday, February 25, 2016

When Your Outfit Matches Your Book.......



Currently Reading, OOTD, and some reflections on Harry Potter


From Goodreads:  Kindred by Octavia Butler

The first science fiction written by a black woman, Kindred has become a cornerstone of black American literature. This combination of slave memoir, fantasy, and historical fiction is a novel of rich literary complexity. Having just celebrated her 26th birthday in 1976 California, Dana, an African-American woman, is suddenly and inexplicably wrenched through time into antebellum Maryland. After saving a drowning white boy there, she finds herself staring into the barrel of a shotgun and is transported back to the present just in time to save her life. During numerous such time-defying episodes with the same young man, she realizes the challenge she’s been given: to protect this young slaveholder until he can father her own great-grandmother.

I read this book a few years ago, but the book club I run voted it for our February book so I'm giving it a re-read!  There are bits of it that are very difficult to read, as she describes in detail the torture of a black slave very early on in the book.

I also feel my outfit is very Ravenpuff.  I've never identified with a single house, so for years I identified as Ravenclaw.  Last year I attended Geekycon, and I found this amazing Etsy shop called Crest Crossed.  They make absolutely BEAUTIFUL Hogwarts crests that elegantly weave together the attributes of the houses. 


What house do you identify with? Are you Crest Crossed? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought of myself as entirely Ravenclaw, but the combination of houses is an interesting thought that I've only barely followed. Now I'm wondering.

    ReplyDelete